Step back in time at the ancient citadel of Hoa Lu. Climb on a bike for a ride along backroads of the area, taking in the scenery. Then, take a row boat through Tam Coc, to explore magnificent caves and get up close to the region karst country.
- Surround yourself in the rich history and breathtaking scenery of Vietnam
- Step back in time at the ancient citadel of Hoa Lu, Vietnam’s first capital
- Cycle amongst the lime karsts and surrounding scenery
- Take a row boat through the UNESCO site of Trang An to explore magnificent caves and get up close to the region’s spectacular karst country
Your Hanoi tour begins with a two hour drive from the hectic capital of Hanoi to the province of Ninh Binh, approximately 100 kilometres away. The first destination is Hoa Lu, the location of the capital of Vietnam during the Dinh Dynasty (968-980) and early Le Dynasty (980-1009). The ancient citadel once covered 300 hectares of land, however the passage of time has left few remains of this once glorious capital of the Vietnam.
On arrival, dive into history at the Dinh & Le Temple. Restored in the 17th century, the temples are dedicated Dinh and Le emperors and believed to be built on the original foundations of the old palaces from the 11th and 12th centuries.
Next it’s time for the biking part of the tour, as you hop on a bike for a 12 kilometer bike ride through the area, lime karsts towering above you as you ride along backroads and beautiful scenery… experiences you just don’t get on other Hanoi tours!
Following your bike ride, you’ll stop for lunch at a local restaurant before visiting Trang An, a new addition to UNESCO’s list of heritage sites. Honored as of June 2014, the 10,000-hectare Trang An complex comprises three areas: the Trang An – Tam Coc – Bich Dong ecological site, the Hoa Lu imperial capital, and the Hoa Lu primitive forests. It is often referred to as the Halong Bay of the land due to its spectacular scenery: lime karsts rise up of the ground to tower over the region, and is a truly wonderful sight to see.
Here, you’ll board row boats for a 3 to 3.5-hour journey through caves, passing local villages along the river system of the Red River Delta. The scenery comprises of lush green rice paddies during the rice growing seasons and the surrounding limestone karsts make for a stunning backdrop, presenting many photo opportunities for the keen photographers amongst the group.
At the end of the boat trip, you’ll return to the city and finish your Hanoi tour.
Know before you go
- Children Policy: Travellers must be 12 years or older on this trip.
- A Tam Coc boat trip will be offered as an alternative to Trang An on selected days when the place is too crowded or during peak season.
- English speaking guide
- Entrance fees as indicated
- Transport as indicated
- Bike & Helmet
- Meals: 1 local lunch.
What’s not included
- Items of a personal nature
- Tips or gratuities for drivers or guide.
For more information about Tam Coc tours, please visit our website. Have a nice trip!